Wednesday, July 2, 2008

5 wks, 4 dys

5 wks 4 dys


So, here we are a week later. The fact that I'm pregnant is finally "starting" to set in. It's wonderful; it just feels a little (a lot) unbelieveable at times. TJ is on cloud nine, and we started telling friends and family this week. His parents were ecstatic, as we expected, but we got a much more random reaction (or lack of, really) from my parents. Not surprising when it comes to my family, unfortunately. It's been fun telling the news kind of slowly and selectively - like we have a secret, just between the two of us :) There's a healthy dose of nerves mixed in. The fear of miscarrage and then a problem with the baby is always in the back of our minds. We're trying to keep it in the back, though, as worrying is not going to change whatever the circumstances might be.

This has been a HUGE week of changes, both physically and in lifestyle. I'm experiencing my first of the pregnancy symptoms and am starting to feel pregnant. Most of the symptoms, of course, are less than pleasant - constipation, gassiness, bloatedness, tender boobs, REALLY frequent urination - really fun stuff. Fortunately, no morning sickness! I'm really, really hoping that that continues. The bloating kind of sucks. I feel like I'm walking around with a big bubble in my lower abdomen.

On the lifestyle note, I took a huge trip to the grocery store and got tons of food that fits into the "pregnancy diet". I've got this one chance to do this right, and I want to make sure that I'm filling my body with all of the nutrients that the little sprout needs. Plus there' s a ton of brain development going on in the next few weeks and it's the least I can do to make sure that's aided as much as possible. Obviously there's a full stop on any drinking and TJ's quitting smoking (finally). I'm still drinking a cup of coffee a day and the only thing I'm really missing right now is being able to drink wine. I'm trying to hit the gym at least 5 days a week and am really focused on controlling weight gain and staying strong throughout this thing.

We had our first doctor's visit the day I took this photo. He said everything looks great (although we won't have an ultrasound for another 4 1/2 wks). He did say that my uterus felt big for 5 weeks, but is was still "normal". God only knows what that means.

We're both busy reading our baby books. Names have been picked out (like 2 years ago), and I can't help but look at baby furniture. I know we're 15 steps ahead, but we're both just so excited. :)

No comments: